Hotel General Manager
A bustling and unique hybrid hotel based in central Cape Town is looking for a dynamic General Manager at their property, situated in Gardens. The hotel is frequented by foreigners and locals alike and is best known as a place for people to connect and learn about a new side to the famous mother city.
- Hold regular briefings and meetings with staff managers
- Maximise financial operations performance by correctly allocating staff requirements within the allocated budget
- Upholding quality standards for each department to maximise levels of guest satisfaction
- Monitor all hotels business reports like sales, marketing and revenue management plans to meet annual targets. Report misalignment to MD daily
- Weekly reporting to the head office with general metrics like revenue projection, forecasting, historical performance, and departmental performance
- Actively manage hotel finances, monthly budgets and accounting software
- Daily collection of all receipts of cash expenditure, and manage online transactions on the bank account to make sure all expenditure is accounted for
- Update supplier list with accurate information and keep the supplier list file furnished with up to date information and place accurate supply orders with the supplier of choice
- Formalise all contractual commitments with suppliers through the establishment of Service Level Agreements and keep signed records of all
- Raise to MD all relevant information that needs to be escalated on time to properly maintain the standards
- Implement all head office HR initiatives including recruitment, induction, remuneration, development, succession, evaluation, mediation and training of all staff according to the Head Office HR standards
- Promote the Hotel’s ethos and culture outlined in the organisation policy book
- Training on the spot when staff members do not meet the standards across
- Carry compliance hotel monthly audit: property licensing laws, labour legislation, health and safety and any other statutory regulations about the hospitality industry, municipal laws and business legislation
- Ensure that the property, assets and inventory are maintained, cleaned and prepared for guests according to acceptable international hotel standards, tourism grading council guidelines and Hotel’s standards
- Protect assets from neglect, damage or deterioration by reporting them to the maintenance team
- Handle all escalated complaints by staff and deal with them accurately by implementing the service standards, and action service recovery procedures when necessary.
- Ensure all decisions by staff members are made in the best interest of the hotel guest
- Meet hotel budget goals and set other short and long term strategic goals for the property. Develop improvement actions, carry out costs savings analysis, and report all numbers and projections to the MD
- Ensure that monthly financial outlooks for rooms, food & beverage, admin and general operations are on target and accurate.
- Physically meeting with all department heads daily to communicate action plans, important notices, management of tasks, carry duty audits.
- Ultimately responsible for all guest complaints and actions that have been taken to improve the situation.
- Carry monthly analysis of guest complaints, guest reviews on online platforms and report to Operations Manager.
- Keep abreast with latest COVID-19 releases and government regulation, adjust hotel operations, marketing strategy to the risk-adjusted national approach.
- Create awareness amongst employees and guests in order to follow COVID-19 protocols and general best practice to keep the hotel operation at minimum risk.
- Experience in Hotel, Backpacking and travel Industry
- In-depth knowledge of Rooms Division, Yield and Revenue Management, Human Resources, legislation applicable to the Hospitality Industry
- Understanding of marketing, sales, finance and administrative principles
- Working knowledge of maintenance work, housekeeping, food and beverage.
- Degree in Hotel Management or related field
- Excellent communication skills (written and verbal)
- Attention to detail and ability to multitask
- Basic understanding of IT, AV & telecommunications software & hardware systems
- Fluent in written and spoken English
- Customer Relationship Management
- Good Communication skills
- Team player
- Able to resolve problems
- Calm under pressure
Working hours: Shift based
Role specifics: 6-month contract
Salary: Market-related. Let us know what your salary expectations are for the role.